Monday, September 28, 2009

#50: My Baby Just Cares for Me


My baby don't care for shows,
My baby don't care for clothes,

My baby just cares for me.

My baby don't care for furs and laces,

My baby don't care for high toned places.

My baby don't care for rings,

Or other expensive things.

She's sensible as can be.

My baby don't care who knows it,

My baby just cares for me!

While Walter Donaldson and Gus Kahn wrote this tune in 1928 for the Ruth Etting-Eddie Cantor show,
Whoopee, it found a permanent home when singer and pianist Nina Simone adopted it as her signature song, performing it on her first album, Little Girl Blue, in 1958. There's definitely something Donaldson-esque about this song; this hit reminds me of two others -- "My Blue Heaven" and "Yes, Sir, That's My Baby,"the latter also from Whoopee -- perhaps it's a shared jolliness.

Enjoy a very ve-de-o-do version with
Jack Payne and the BBC Dance Orchestra, or check out Nina "Little Girl Blue" Simone, satiating an audience for her signature song. For more current renditions, try George Michael or Ed Norton, the latter singing and dancing to "My Baby" in Woody Allen's song-filled movie, "Everybody Says I Love You."

No comments:

Post a Comment